Wednesday, January 7, 2015

01.07 - Code Switching

We started today's class with a little more language register identification and practice with code switching. We looked at a selection from Amy Winehouse's song "Rehab" and everyone responded to the following prompt:

Which speech register does Winehouse's "Rehab" employ? How do you know?
Rewrite the featured lines from this song & in doing so code switch to a different register.

To help understand and interpret these lines we listened to an a cappella performance of the song for this year's American Idol by Maine native Cherry Lemonade (see video below).



Featured lyrics:

They tried to make me go to rehab but I said, “No, no, no.”
Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know, know, know
I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fine
He's tried to make me go to rehab but I won't go, go, go

The man said, “Why do you think you're here?”
I said, “I got no idea.”

After everyone had a chance to respond to the writing journal prompt, we discussed people's answers and everyone had a chance to share out one of the lines that they code switched into a different register.

Most people identified the speech register of Winehouse's song to be "casual" and code switched the register to either "formal" or "consultative". This lead us into some discussion of how elements of speech registers can be mixed. We also looked at how casual speech can be difficult to interpret (e.g. "yes I've been black") which is why more formal registers focus on having clear meaning and carefully selected words.

Our discussion touched on why interventions like rehabilitation centers are often a positive life choice for people.

We then played a review game in preparation for our unit 2 test on Friday.

Tomorrow, we will have representatives from the Lewiston Regional Technical Center (LRTC) come in to speak to us about their programs.

At the end of class, I returned updated grade report sheets. We will have some time for revision work on Friday after the roots and prefixes unit test.

Homework:

Prepare for the unit 2 roots and prefixes test on Friday.


Cheer for Maine and check out Cherry Lemonade on American Idol. 
(after making sure all of your homework is complete).

No comments:

Post a Comment